Monday, March 31, 2014

FEATURE STORY: NIKKI LAOYE - "I AM MORE THAN JUST A GOSPEL ARTISTE"




Top female vocalist, Nikki Laoye is one of Nigeria’s most talented female artistes with much recognition to show for it. Last year at the HEADIES, she won the ‘Best Female Vocalist’ in Nigeria and recently, she just got nominated for Artiste of the Year amid other nominations at this year’s Crystal Awards. Over the past nine years, Nikki has grown to be a force to be reckoned with in the music arena.
She recently had a chat with Seun Apara of Entertainment Rave (www.eraveng.com)

How has winning the best female vocalist at last year’s Headies influenced
your career?
Winning the Headies has definitely put me on my toes some more and it has further encouraged my constant desire to make music that will last forever in the hearts and lives of people. It has also created a new awareness for me and my music; I have gained more fans and been approached by many
people in the music industry who want to work & relate with me.

Is there any disadvantage being a gospel artiste?
There are no disadvantages at all. For me, I am more than just a gospel artiste because my music is of a cross-over nature. So, I even have a greater advantage of reaching people in and beyond the church. Anyone can relate to my music as I simply create music for different scenarios. Last year, I worked with EbonyLife TV on the National Anthem video project and I have also worked on numerous movie soundtracks including the award winning movie by Ashionye, ‘Journey To Self’. The opportunities are endless. It’s fun to share my faith as well as my values on life and more with my music.

What are your greatest fears musically?
I don’t have any fear musically, absolutely none.

What are the new projects you are currently working on?
There are lots of great stuffs coming from Nikki Laoye. I just shot a superb dance video to my hit song, "123", which should be out in April, 2014. I also released another dance song with my brother/producer, Xblaze called "Your Number". It is something for all the young couples out there to groove to as we celebrate the pure beauty of love. I’ve got many other collaborations under my sleeve too. 
I am also working on fundraising concerts and projects for my foundation, Angel 4 Life Foundation ‘Buy A Cane’ project as we raise more money to buy mobility canes and educational materials to support the visually impaired community in our society.

What are your expectations from the new works?
I’m expecting the best reception from everyone out there from the amazing productions by my brother, Xblaze. People should also expect great songs and unexpected collaborations this 2014 as I present an exhilarating ride through my world of music.

How will you love the Nikki Laoye brand to be received?
I want people to see my music and I for who we really are, ‘JUST NIKKI’.
With my music, I set out to be ME, an urban contemporary cross-over artiste who is a believing born-again Christian, a worshipper, a lover, a fighter, a survivor, a motivator and above all, a woman going through the general motions of life. So, I speak about life’s issues, experiences, my faith, my God and also about Love & Relationships. The most important thing for me is that my music is a vessel of communication and all I want to be is a voice of encouragement, Love, healing, hope, inspiration and joy straight from heaven’s gates to the hearts of men.

What is the best thing music has done for you?
Music has given me a platform to be heard; the opportunity to reach out to people across the world right in their cars, their living rooms and give them the good news of joy, peace, laughter and strength when they needed it the most.

What are the greatest things you have been able to achieve for your brand?
With the help of my management, Wahala Media Entertainment, I have done quite a bit over the past 9 years. The major ones I hold dearly are being nominated for the Kora Awards in 2008; performing with Kirk Franklin, Donnie Mclurkin and more at The Lagos Experience Concert in 2009; being one of the first three Nigerian Artistes to be showcased on popular American channel, BET in 2009; helping to organise the first International White Cane Day for the Blind in Lagos State with the Nigeria Association for the Blind in 2012; being commissioned by EbonyLife TV to create the first official Nigerian National Anthem video; headlining the Mary J Blige concert in 2013; performing at the Nelson Mandela Tribute concert and of course, winning the prestigious Headies for Best Female Vocal Performance in 2013. The list is endless and I still got more to do.

Looking back, what are those things you would love to do differently?
Right now, I thank God for all I have achieved and all the rough patches I have been through which have made me a better person in every area of my life. I don’t think I would want to change anything.

What is your idea of a better music industry?
It will be a better structure for the sales, promotion and distribution of artistes’ works. Also, more inclusion of Gospel/Inspirational artistes in all major concerts. Truth be told, the general public want a variety of sounds and expressions when they go for an event or concert. It’s too one sided.

Do you think the gospel acts are being marginalised in any way?
More room needs to be made on the airwaves, on the concert stages and in the endorsement playground for Gospel acts. I tell you, there are lots of great contemporary gospel artistes who would give you a run for your money and keep you gasping for more. The talent and the sounds coming from the Gospel community are unbelievable. Great music that would inspire your world and keep you on the dancefloor as well.

What are your projections for the year?
To create more life changing music to last for years  and to also push for better opportunities for the visually impaired and physically challenged in the society via my foundation, Angel 4 Life Foundation.

What informs your looks?
I do work with creative stylists such as Yolanda Okereke, Veronica Odeka and more, to bring out the different sides of Nikki. I am a fun-loving, adventurous person and I love to exhibit that in my fashion styles.

Culled from EntertainmentRave

1 comment: